Please email me at email@example.com
PO Box 14-757 Kilbirnie
Mobile: +64 (0) 21 048 2092
Mike Spray is recognised by many as a leading authority for firearms and hunter safety. Mike previously worked for the New Zealand Mountain Safety Council as Programme Manager for Firearms and Hunter Safety. He was responsible for 500 firearms instructors who delivered training and testing to around 10,000 new licence applicants per year. Mike is a qualified outdoor instructor and assessor and holds tertiary qualifications for firearms and hunter safety, range officer, bushcraft, rock-climbing and emergency management. He has published numerous articles on outdoor safety and has developed educational material for hunters and other firearms users.
Mike participated in the development nationally recognised qualifications for firearms and hunter training instructors in New Zealand and over the years has assisted governments in Australia and the South Pacific with the development and implementation of their own firearms safety programs.
Mike has collected and analysed data on non-intentional firearms incidents in New Zealand and his knowledge and expertise in this area has been frequently used by the media, and by Criminal and Coroners Courts. Mike recently returned from three years working in Australia as Operations Manager for the Sporting Shooters Association of Australia (SSAA). Here, he was responsible for the design and compliance requirements for SSAA (Vic) shooting ranges and the development of training programs for Range Officers and Game Management Operators. Mike is a passionate hunter himself and more likely to be seen with a camera these days rather than a rifle.
Mike holds the following qualifications:
- Whitireia Community Polytechnic – Diploma in Outdoor Leadership (Firearms)
- Whitireia Community Polytechnic – Diploma in Outdoor Leadership (HUNTS)
- Open Polytechnic of New Zealand – Certificate Firearms Safety and Legislation
- New Zealand Gunsmiths Society – Ammunition Advisor
- New Zealand Gunsmiths Society – Firearms Safety Instructor
- Firearms Safety and Training Council NSW, Australia – Firearms Training Officer
- New Zealand Police – Range Inspecting Officer
- NZQA – National Certificate in Outdoor Leadership (level 5 Bush)
- Whitireia Community Polytechnic – Diploma in Outdoor Leadership (Bush)
- Whitireia Community Polytechnic – Diploma in Outdoor Leadership (Abseil)
- Auckland University of Technology – National Certificate in Emergency Management
- Auckland University of Technology – National Certificate in Pre-hospital Emergency Care
- Tocal College NSW – Certificate IV Training and Assessment
- NZQA – Unit Standard 16078 Describe application of Te Tiriti o Waitangi and the Treaty of Waitangi in tea o turtoa